The Congolese Renewable and Decentralised Energy Association (ACERD) is hosting the event “The Renewable Energy Investment Opportunity in the DRC: Accessing the $1 Billion Market” on 2 and 3 July 2019 at the Kin Plaza Hotel, Kinshasa. The event is being run in partnership with the UK government-funded ÉLAN RDC programme.
The market potential for off-grid systems alone in DRC is estimated at over $900 million per year.1 After including improved cookstoves and other renewable opportunities, the market easily exceeds $1 billion. We are convening a diverse group of domestic and international stakeholders from the private and public sectors to boost investment in the sector and improve clean energy access for the Congolese public.
This will be the first major event organised by ACERD since its formation in 2018.
Presentations: The following presentations were made at the event.
- Panels: UCM, ANAPI, SunFunder, UNCDF & GSMA
- Companies: Altech, Bascons, BBOXX, Congo Energy, DEV Solaire, Greenlight Planet & Kit4Africa
Panelists: Panelists include:
- Présidence de la République : Conseiller Principal en charge des Mines et Énergie
- Ministère de l’Energie : Secrétaire Général
Day one will comprise plenary sessions and four panel discussions. Scheduled presentations include:
- Welcome address – UK Ambassador
- Address from the Presidency – Conseiller Principal en charge des Mines et Énergie
- The current state of play of renewable energy in the DRC – ÉLAN RDC
- Introduction to the renewable energy association, its mission and vision – ACERD
The panel discussions will cover:
- Opportunities and development prospects in renewable energy. Panel members will include the World Bank, the Ministry of Energy, and the African Development Bank.
- The enabling environment for renewable energy. Panel members include ACERD, the European Union, and the investment promotion agency, ANAPI.
- Investment in the renewable energy sector. Panel members include: SunFunder, XSML Capital, UNCDF and the World Bank
- Consumer finance for renewable energy. Panel members include: Rawbank, GSMA, Orange Money.
Day two will comprise a series of short presentations on the experience of operating in the DRC and the investment needs of the sector from a number of companies that are already active in the market:
- Altech, BBOXX, Congo Energy, DEV Solaire, Greenlight Planet and Kit4Africa (solar systems)
- Bascons (improved cookstoves)
Following the presentations, there will be an opportunity for networking and B2B meetings.
Companies and investment funds to be represented:
BBOXX, Altech, Orange Energie, SunFunder, Energy Access Ventures, d.light, Congo Energy, Kivu Green Energy, Greenlight Planet, Dev Solaire, Kit4Africa, VITALITE, IMA Innovations, Burn, Bascons, Haltbank, Oolu Solar, Fenix International, Schneider Electirc, Eco Mwinda Energie
Languages: The event will be conducted in French and English.
Contact: If you have questions about the event or are interested in attending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.